4270 - Fighting Perspective


You may wonder what became of my blog project.

Well, I’ve tried Hexo and it did convert the blog. Around 4300 files were converted to Markdown in less more than a few minutes. I did it in a virtual machine in VirtualBox, because I hate it to install test software directly on my Mac.

Then I wanted to use Hexo for conversion of the Markdown files to static HTML.

Oh my! After slightly more than one hour Hexo crashed, running out of memory. This was while still loading the files. Not a single HTML file had yet been produced.

devop@localhost ~/hexo_migration $ hexo generate INFO Start processing INFO Files loaded in 6.88 min

<— Last few GCs —>

[4351:0x3310b00] 5092349 ms: Mark-sweep 993.1 (1673.5) -> 993.1 (1673.5) MB, 943.4 / 0.1 ms allocation failure GC in old space requested [4351:0x3310b00] 5093467 ms: Mark-sweep 993.1 (1673.5) -> 993.1 (1626.5) MB, 1043.3 / 0.1 ms last resort GC in old space requested [4351:0x3310b00] 5094518 ms: Mark-sweep 993.1 (1626.5) -> 993.1 (1609.5) MB, 1049.8 / 0.1 ms last resort GC in old space requested

<— JS stacktrace —>

==== JS stack trace =========================================

Security context: 0x2e6737ba5879 <JSObject> 1: /* anonymous */ [/home/devop/hexo_migration/node_modules/lodash/lodash.js:~12637] [pc=0x2da8b25db474](this=0x1927fa58c209 <JSGlobal Object>,object=0x2b86843ba4e1 <Object map = 0x1642cec1f899>,source=0x2b86843b9721 <Object map = 0x1642cec1f899&gt😉 2: arguments adaptor frame: 4->2 3: /* anonymous */ [/home/devop/hexo_migration/node_modules/lodash/lodash.js:~4855] [pc=0x2da8b25ba7fb](t…

FATAL ERROR: CALL_AND_RETRY_LAST Allocation failed - JavaScript heap out of memory 1: node::Abort() [hexo] 2: 0x8c20ec [hexo] 3: v8::Utils::ReportOOMFailure(char const*, bool) [hexo] 4: v8::internal::V8::FatalProcessOutOfMemory(char const*, bool) [hexo] 5: v8::internal::Factory::NewCode(v8::internal::CodeDesc const&, unsigned int, v8::internal::Handle<v8::internal::Object>, bool, int) [hexo] 6: v8::internal::CodeGenerator::MakeCodeEpilogue(v8::internal::TurboAssembler*, v8::internal::EhFrameWriter*, v8::internal::CompilationInfo*, v8::internal::Handle<v8::internal::Object&gt😉 [hexo] 7: v8::internal::compiler::CodeGenerator::FinalizeCode() [hexo] 8: v8::internal::compiler:😛ipelineImpl::FinalizeCode() [hexo] 9: v8::internal::compiler:😛ipelineCompilationJob::FinalizeJobImpl() [hexo] 10: v8::internal::Compiler::FinalizeCompilationJob(v8::internal::CompilationJob*) [hexo] 11: v8::internal::OptimizingCompileDispatcher::InstallOptimizedFunctions() [hexo] 12: v8::internal::StackGuard::HandleInterrupts() [hexo] 13: v8::internal::Runtime_StackGuard(int, v8::internal::Object**, v8::internal::Isolate*) [hexo] 14: 0x2da8b1f042fd Aborted (core dumped) devop@localhost ~/hexo_migration $


I’m pretty sure that I would have had a better result natively on my 16GB Macbook Pro. The virtual machine had only 2GB of memory and that is seemingly not enough to load my blog when converted to Javascript objects.

I’ve made no further inquiries, I didn’t try to give the machine more memory, I just gave up on Hexo. It may be unfair, but trust can be damaged very quickly 🙂